Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The New Yahoo! Mail App for Androids


Everybody has email addresses. Well okay, not exactly everybody. Almost. It’s pretty much an essential thing to have in this modern world where information technology (or just the computer itself) surrounds us.

I’ve been using email for years; ever since I was in my second year of my Junior High. Before that, it hasn’t existed yet (or maybe I was just ignorant). At first, I had no idea how to use it. I didn’t know that we needed the Internet connection.

I remember that a friend of mine gave me her email address. I used Microsoft Office Outlook to send her an email. Like I said, I had no clue about this email business. Once I finished writing, I sent it and told her what I did. We waited for hours but she didn’t get anything (note: I wasn’t connected to the Internet). Then my dad taught me about emails because I don’t think we were taught yet in school.

Even to this day – to this right second – I still have that email address that my dad made for me.

I use Yahoo because it was at its famous stage when my email was created. I have two accounts – one for personal things and one formal. I’ve seen its changes over the years. I quite like the current view, but I prefer the classic one if I had to choose. It takes a shorter time to load and I like that because my Internet connection at the moment is pretty slow.

But enough about that; I’m here to share my opinion on the new Yahoo mail app for androids.

The new app is quite different from the previous one. Now that I’m so used to it, I don’t even remember how the former one looked like (even though I’ve used it for a very long time). All I remember is that I had to check a message(s) and then press the Menu/Option button to delete or move it to a folder. The new app is better in my opinion. If you check a message(s), the appropriate buttons will appear at the bottom of the screen: delete, move, spam and (un)check all buttons. I thought that’s a very nice idea since users don’t have to click so many times to, for example delete one message.

The color is nice. In my opinion, it’s eye-catching. But I might be biased because I like purple. Although, it would be good if we can actually change the color. I’ve gone through the settings many times, but I still can’t find the option to do so.

Overall, it’s a pretty good interface.

However, I do have several things that I don’t really like form the new app. And they’re all as follows.

First of all, the delete or move button. I don’t know if it’s only my android, my unstable connection, or the app itself, but sometimes messages that I want to delete can’t be deleted no matter how many times I press that button. It’s still there until I actually give up and try to delete it again much later. The same goes to the move button.

Second problem is the sync. Sometimes my phone isn’t synchronized with the web version. It’s deleted on the phone, but not on the web. It’s read on the web, not on the phone. Or vice versa. It’s troublesome because I have to do it twice.

The third is the double account problem. As mentioned before, I have two Yahoo accounts and I use both of them frequently. That’s why I have both accounts online in my phone, because it’ll be easier to check emails without logging out one of them. The problem is, however, sometimes I can only access one account even if I’m signed in both. No matter how many times I click the account that I want to access, I am still in the other account. It’s annoying, to be honest.

All of these problems might be because of my connection. They might be glitches from the app itself. Nevertheless, I really hope that they can be solved soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment